Friday 1 January 2016

First Post!!~ Superstar BBQ (Korean restaurant)




Since 2012 I had always wanted set up a food blog due to my love for food and my obsession with taking pictures of food. However, I had a busy schedule due to uni life and never got round to it.  But now I have graduated and found a new job so it's finally happening!! (ha-ha) 


So I recently went to this Korean BBQ restaurant called "Superstar" located approx 10 minutes walk from Holborn tube station and 5 minutes from Tottenham Court Road tube station. I chose the Set 2 Menu £30p/p. The starter consisted of: Korean Fried Chicken, Kimchi Jeon (kimchi pancake), Japche (glass noodles), Banchan (Namul & Kimchi). The portion for starter was huge! I enjoyed the Banchan, there was a selection of beansprouts, spinach, and radish. Each serving were decent portions.

The KFC (Korean Fried Chicken)was tasty with the sauce. I've never came across a korean restaurant in London which serves this with radish cubes. I enjoyed the flavour of the fried chicken and its texture was crispy and not too dry. However, there were not enough radish cubes for the chicken pieces.

The Kimchi Jeon (Kimchi Pancake) was slightly disappointing as there was to much flour and hardly any kimchi; although the portion is quite big.



Japche (glass noodles) were warm and quite oily. We finished all but the glass noodles as it was  too oily  and prefer  if it was served cold.

The main course was the BBQ selection that I was most looking forward to. It was a large selection of IB Galbi, Beef Boolgogi, Spicy Chicken, Spicy Pork, Grilled Vegetables and Salad. I ordered pork belly as well. But for the price of £30 for a 3 course set menu, the food is certainly worth it. I ordered pork belly as well. I also like the fact that you are able to grill the meat yourself rather than having someone to cook it for you. I always find it slightly awkward while you're chatting and the waiter/waitress is listening to your conversation but not intentionally. The BBQ had good flavours particularly the spicy chicken. The grilled vegetables seemed quite dry however and pretty random as there were a couple of  sliced mushrooms included. 


Following the BBQ was a small portion of Bimbimbap and Miso Soup. I was happy to see that the bimbimbap was small as my belly was so full at this point! The bimbapbap served in a small hot stone bowl. Be careful not to touch the bowl as it WILL burn you. The desserts was ice cream or either cinnamon drink. There were 3 options for the ice cream which I recall were green tea, black sesame and red bean; of which I chose green tea as I'm not a big fan of the other flavours. Tasted like the typical matcha green tea, nothing special.


Overall I would give this restaurant a 7/10 for the set menu selection. If it was your first time you may be confused with the what to order if you aren't familiar with korean food; as korean cuisine generally consists of a variety of small dishes.. Last time I ordered a few dishes including a few BBQ dishes and the portions were disappointing  and  smaller than I expected. This time I was left super full! I was most impressed with the huge selection with the starter and main course. I would recommend this place as the staff were very friendly and the food was pleasant.


By Alison Lo

No comments:

Post a Comment